Annoying Windows 7 Bug

Annoying Windows 7 Bug


Well I’m not sure yet if I can replicate this or not but it’s been annoying me enough over the last 5 minutes that I thought I’d post about it. System is running Windows 7 Ultimate RC1 (64-bit) and I kept running into issues transferring some files over from another hard drive that also has a boot partition on it where the board kept booting to the other drive. Since I’m also tweaking some BIOS settings and whatnot, the boot order keeps rearranging, so the solution I came up with (clever me) was to switch SATA cables so that the system would always automatically boot from the correct drive.

The drive in question is an OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD, so it’s a plenty fast drive. Man was I ever suprised to see 10,000ms access times in the resource monitor when all I was doing was downloading adobe flash player with literally nothing else open. Switching back to the SATA port that the drive was originally on has everything back to normal, but those 10s response times were VERY noticeable and it was not mis-reporting.

I  also know that the issue was not caused by putting the drive on a different SATA controller. They are both connected to the ICH10R southbridge and drivers are installed for that as well. Very random. I would have taken a screenshot but the system was soooo painfully slow I had to do something. It would respond just fine for about a second (I could type into search fields, click things, etc) but then it would become completely unresponsive for 5-10 seconds.

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © ARTECH . Designed by OddThemes