Powerline networking is the solution to my problems.

Powerline networking is the solution to my problems.

Well, I’ve been a die-hard wireless user for a lot of years now. It’s been a bit of a love-hate relationship. When I was going to UBC wireless was an essential part of my day and fairly reliable. They have an excellent network there and with a decent wireless card you can walk around campus with a laptop in front you and browse the net.

Not that I ever did that.

As many of the people who game with me on a regular basis know, I’ve been having a lot of trouble with wireless in my home. I’ve tried 3 different routers and about 1/2 a dozen different wireless adapters (USB, PCI, PCIe) over the last year or so and I just can’t find something that works consistently. Either my connection always sorta sucks, or it’s really good, then just totally craps out for 2-3 minutes at a time. It can be very disruptive if the tank shows up while I’m sitting there teleporting around because my ping is 900ms.



So I bought one of these (by the way there’s a smoking deal coming on these in the next sale or two).

  
The instructions are basically “plug them into the wall, then plug an ethernet cable into them, but make sure you don’t plug into a power bar or it might cause interference”. I was like “Okay. That’s pretty simple”. I unplugged the power bar for the family computer, threw the powerline unit into position on that side, ran over, plugged it into my switch and the wall on my side and…. nothing. No network connection. Turns out the power bar I unplugged on the family PC end also had the router plugged into it. I’ll be needing that. So after I corrected that mistake I could see all the computers on the other side of the powerline network, but still no internet access. A quick reboot resolved that and now I’m golden.


For a little over $50, it’s nothing short of a miracle.  Transfer speeds are absolutely dismal, but since I don’t need gigabit to that side of the network anyway, I don’t really care. The gigabit switch on my side (pictured below) connects me to my girlfriend’s computer and the Windows Home Server. On the other side is just the media PC and the family PC to which 2-3MB/s is fine.


  


Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © ARTECH . Designed by OddThemes